Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Progress thus far

Its been a crazy month, or month and a half, since I last posted anything on the progress of the motor cycle. Anyway, I haven't been lazy. School, work and life has taken time away from blogging, but alas, I'm back.

There has been a lot of progress on the bike. Here's the break down. I had to take the air box off so that I could make way for some new filters. Below is a photo of the bike taken apart minus the air box.


I got individual air filters for each carburetor.


Next up was the tank. I sand blasted the paint off the tank to actually see the condition of the metal. The inside of the tank was in rough shape and needed to be cleaned and sealed. I'm going to repaint the tank anyway so I figure, why not start from scratch. Surprisingly, it wasn't too bad. There were a few pin holes on the bottom where water has been sitting. I got patched up and prepped for paint.


I received the KBS tank sealer in the mail and went to town with it right away. It was a slow and long process, but that's what it took to do it correctly.







Next up, primer. I had to get a coat of paint on the tank right away. Bare metal and weather doesn't really mix well. And while I was at it, I redid the plastics as well. There was a little body work that needed to be done. I wanted to take the emblems off the side of the tank, and I needed to fill in the screw holes before I could lay down a coat of paint.


Here it is all put back together.




And a few shots of my nephew Lui on it.



This was about 3 weeks ago. Since then, I serviced the carburetor. I cleaned all the grime off of it, cleaned the jets, float bowls and made sure the gasket and o-rings were all alright. I also worked on the fuel valve, or petcock (yeah, Mina, I said petcock lol).

All that's left now is the wiring, rear tire, rear suspension, putting the carbs back on and I should be ready to fire it up and go for a test ride. Oh and I got new tail lights and marker lights that need to be installed.

Almost done, but there's alot left to be done. More to come.

GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment