Monday, February 28, 2011

The Seat. Wrap It Up.

So I kinda of procrastinated on the tank prep, but I did get some things done. There was a fiasco with how to get the gas out of the tank safely. I really don't feel like turning the tank over and pouring it out into a little gas can–it just didn't feel right. So I got a gas siphon from auto zone for a couple of bucks, and I should be able to get to it Friday afternoon.

This past Sunday, I figured I'd work on the seat again. So I went to Joann's Fabrics and bought some high density foam to pad the seat, and some cheap vinyl. I didn't want to get the good stuff until I'm ready to wrap the seat with the seat cover I designed later on.

First thing's first, the seat pan was bare metal so I needed to protect it from rust. So I painted it with some primer. I didn't have any other paint laying around, and Auto Zone had closed by the time I got to working. I figure that primer should do for what the foam will be laying on, and I'll paint the underside with some more weather resistant paint. I couldn't wait to get to working so, I unintentionally left off some steps. I'll just make sure to remember them once I get to the final.



Next up, foam. I had bought a bunch of high density foam to form the pad for the seat. I also picked up an electric carving knife to cut it. It worked like a charm, cutting through the foam like butter. Knife in hand and adhesive spray, I went to town. It was like art school all over again. Sculpting, forming and designing on the fly. Of course I already had the basic shape in my head. The goal is to end up with a cafe racer type seat. Here it is step by step, layer by layer.





After finishing up the basic form, it was time to wrap it in vinyl. This part was a little tougher than I had hoped for. Again, I forgot some steps. I bought a pop riveter to hold the vinyl in place. Unfortunately, I forgot to pre-drill the seat pan for the pop rivets. It was around 10pm when I realized it, and I didn't want to wake up the neighbors with drilling noises. Besides, I didn't have the proper drill bit. I'll get to it this weekend, but here it is all wrapped up.


Its not the prettiest job, but it'll do for now. I just need something to sit on besides bare metal or foam. I also need to re-carve some parts and lay down some smoother pieces of foam to even out some areas. As I've said before, its not perfect, but I'm just learning as I go.

My room mate was kind enough to take off a hundred bucks off my rent this month so I can buy more stuff for the GS... thoughtful isn't he? lol So I picked up the new handlebars and mini open element air filters off eBay. They should come in just in time for the week end.

The bike is transforming pretty nicely, but there's still a lot of work to do to make it safe to ride. Patience and taking things one thing at a time will be my saving grace from being overwhelmed, but I'm also really happy on how things are shaping up.

GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment