Friday, March 4, 2011

New bars. Hang on to something.

As per my last post, I mentioned that my roommate was kind enough to dock my rent by a $100 so that I could order some parts for the bike that he really wanted to see on there. Of course, I"m not gonna complain. Anything to see something new on the GS.

I also got the new air filters in a couple of days ago. One for each carb. I ordered them along with the new handle bars. I tried installing it one night after class, but the further along I got into it, the more I realized that it was gonna take some more planning than just slapping them on the carbs. I'll tackle that when I get a better sense of everything.

Anyway, the handle bars came in a few days later...today. I really do get a kick of waiting for a UPS, FedEx, or USPS package at work, which is where I get stuff delivered. Its like Christmas all over again and I don't have to wait til midnight or morning to open the presents.

After work, I couldn't wait to see how the bike will look with the new handle bars and bar end mirrors. The bars are Clubman style, very typical for Cafe Racer bikes. Its goingto give the bike a more aggressive look to it.

Here are the before photos of the bike with the old handle bars. As you can see, its plain Jane and the mirrors are fairly large. The ride style is very conventional.. in other words, boring.



After a few modifications to a couple of the parts and some rerouting of wires to accommodate the length of the bars, I was able to successfully install the new bars.





Before I installed the handle bars, I wasn't sure I was going to like how large the gauges were and how high they stick up from the bike. Looking at it now, I don't mind so much. I'd still like to see them in chrome.

GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment