Sunday, October 17, 2010

Philippines Day 10

It was pretty laid back today. We were supposed to go to Bataan for another side trip with our cousin Cathy, her husband Ryan, and their kids. We weren't able to go because Ryan, who is running for a local office of Barangay Captain, got held up campaigning, and we didn't want to impose and cause him to lose votes because he was out spending time with us. There's always next time.

Instead, we spent some more time at my Tito Chito's house on Nazareno St. There was a lot of eating of course, and I finally got to buy, and eat, some balut. Balut is a Filipino delicacy of fertilized hard-boiled duck egg. Yes, I said fertilized, and yes, there's a chick in there. Watch my brother and I eat one in the video. I've been wanting to film this for a while. All I had been able to show are photos, so it seems posed at times. I think the video will give you the full effect.

It was overall a very relaxing day. I had fun playing with my cousin Cathy's little ones–my nephew, Monday, and nieces,Tuesday and baby Wednesday. I also learned how to gamble, Filipino style. Playing a card game called Pusoy Dos. I'm still learning but it was pretty fun playing and losing someone else's money.

As I was playing with my little nephew and nieces, I started reminiscing the days when we were little and when WE were the ones running around, causing a ruckus while our parents sat and played cards or mahjong. Now, WE are the ones playing cards, and my cousin's kids are the ones causing a ruckus. I was imagining about how I used to look up to my aunt and uncles, and I wondered if that's the way the little ones are seeing my brother and I. It was kind of weird, but kind of cool at the same time.

You know, I'm taking my time to find that girl to settle down with. Even if my dad tries to marry me off to get a discount on souvenirs. But when I hang out with my cousins and play with their kids, sometimes, I kinda want my own to take care of, raise, and play with.

GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment